Our latest logo
Read This First (Show)
We are the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair (EISEF).
Our mission is to inspire eastern Iowa’s students to pursue careers in science, engineering, and math.
To accomplish our mission, every year we do the following:
- We challenge the students in grades 6–12 to do science projects.
- We support their parents and teachers in guiding their projects.
- We invite them to Cedar Rapids to exhibit their projects and explain what they learned.
- We recognize the deserving students with awards, prizes, and scholarships.
- We send the very best students to the International Science and Engineering Fair, to exhibit their projects alongside the best students from around the world.
- We raise funds and mobilize volunteers and resources to make all this happen.
- We try to have fun doing it, and make it fun for everyone else.
This web site is a primary source of information for the people who carry out EISEF’s mission:
Follow the links above, on the left, and in the EISEF News section below to find the information you need for your part in EISEF’s mission.
EISEF director Jo Mahoney reports:
Come to the first EISEF Board meeting and see what it takes to put on a science fair!
- When and where: Tuesday, September 10, at 5:30 PM, in the Marion Public Library.
- The Calendar of Events shows the meeting dates for the whole season.
This year’s ISEF will take place in Los Angeles, California, May 11–16, 2014. Visit the ISEF Website for more information.
Senior students & teachers: You need to review the ISEF rules—they’ve changed for 2014.
Abby Walling (West Sr HS, Iowa City)
- Microbiology, Fourth Award of $500
- Patent and Trademark Office Society, First Award of $250
Lydia Heald (Van Buren Comm HS, Keosauqua)
- Drexel University, Full tuition scholarship
All photos of the award winners have been posted to the 2013 Photo Album.
98% coverage! This year, we got a photo of all but 3 of the student exhibits. We’ve posted them to the 2013 Photo Album. Now to caption them, and add other photos from the Fair.
Mark Oehler, the professional photographer at the Fair, has 2 photo galleries for you to enjoy:
The Fair took place on Saturday, March 16, 2013 — 9 months ago.
Meet our 2013 Senior Champions!
Lydia Heald with her teacher Amanda Kite, from Keosauqua
Brice Plein with his teacher Elizabeth Sanning, from Burlington
(Brice’s partner Nick Whitcomb missed the Awards Ceremony)
They won at EISEF in Cedar Rapids. Now they’re headed to the International Science and Engineering Fair in Phoenix, May 12–17.
- 246 students attended, with 189 exhibits.
- 152 judges interviewed them.
- They received 210 awards in all.
- All the exhibits and awards at the fair.
- EISEF 2013 Photo Album. (This will take a couple of weeks.)
Did you take photos at the Fair? If you’d like to share them, we’d love to see them. E-mail them to the , and maybe we’ll include them in our photo album.
Senior and Junior Champions: Now you have to get ready to go to Phoenix, and you have to meet some strict deadlines. Our Post-Fair Info page tells all about it.