Abby Walling (West Sr HS, Iowa City)
- Microbiology, Fourth Award of $500
- Patent and Trademark Office Society, First Award of $250
Lydia Heald (Van Buren Comm HS, Keosauqua)
- Drexel University, Full tuition scholarship
All photos of the award winners have been posted to the 2013 Photo Album.
98% coverage! This year, we got a photo of all but 3 of the student exhibits. We’ve posted them to the 2013 Photo Album. Now to caption them, and add other photos from the Fair.
Mark Oehler, the professional photographer at the Fair, has 2 photo galleries for you to enjoy:
The Fair took place on Saturday, March 16, 2013 — 4 years ago.
Meet our 2013 Senior Champions!
Lydia Heald with her teacher Amanda Kite, from Keosauqua
Brice Plein with his teacher Elizabeth Sanning, from Burlington
(Brice’s partner Nick Whitcomb missed the Awards Ceremony)
They won at EISEF in Cedar Rapids. Now they’re headed to the International Science and Engineering Fair in Phoenix, May 12–17.
- 246 students attended, with 189 exhibits.
- 152 judges interviewed them.
- They received 210 awards in all.
- All the exhibits and awards at the fair.
- EISEF 2013 Photo Album. (This will take a couple of weeks.)
Did you take photos at the Fair? If you’d like to share them, we’d love to see them. E-mail them to the , and maybe we’ll include them in our photo album.
Senior and Junior Champions: Now you have to get ready to go to Phoenix, and you have to meet some strict deadlines. Our Post-Fair Info page tells all about it.
The Fair is Saturday, March 16, 2013, in Lindale Mall, Cedar Rapids.
Registration for everybody starts at 8:00 AM on Fair Day.
- EISEF judges
- Sponsored Award judges
- EISEF Headquarters: Lower level by Center Court.
- Student registration: Center Court, near the fountain, between Kay Jewelers and Rogers Jewelry.
- Judges’ registration: Outside EISEF HQ.
- Sponsored Awards registration: Inside EISEF HQ.
Last-minute judges and volunteers: come to Registration (EISEF Headquarters) and we’ll sign you up there.
The When and Where page has schedules, maps, and directions to help you find your way on Fair Day.
Students! You can check your entries on the Status of Student Entries page.
Judges! You can pick the exhibits you’d like to judge — before the Fair. These pages list the entries we’ve received, with their titles and descriptions. Look them over, choose the ones that are right for you, and you’ll be ready to sign up on Fair Day morning.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Read the For Students And Teachers page and follow its directions.
- Check the Forms Guide to find out what forms and certificates you need to fill out and when.
- Finish your experiment and complete your paperwork.
- Fill out the Student Entry Form and submit it.
- Mail us copies of your Student Entry Signature Pages and all your other paperwork. The deadline is February 24, 2013.
- Check the status of your entry on the Status of Student Entries page.
- Bring the originals of all paperwork with you to the Fair on March 16, 2013.
What’s involved in being a judge? Our Judges page tells you.
Do you want to judge? Fill out our Volunteer Signup form and let us know!
Do you want to help recruit judges? Post our 2013 judging flyers, or use them as handouts.
EISEF now accepts signed student paperwork (Student Entry Form and Senior certificates) as PDF attachments to e-mail messages. The state science fair in Ames has allowed e-mailed paperwork since 2011; eastern Iowa’s teachers asked us to allow it, too.
How to do it:
- Fill out the forms and certificates.
- Sign them.
- Scan the signed forms and certificates into PDF files. (Your local school, office, or copy shop may be able to help you with this.)
- Attach the PDF files to an e-mail message and send it to:
Come to the first EISEF Board meeting and see what it takes to put on a science fair!
- When and where: Tuesday, September 11, at 5:30 PM, in the Marion Public Library.
- The Calendar of Events shows the meeting dates for the whole season.
This year’s ISEF will take place in Phoenix, Arizona, May 12–17, 2013. Visit the ISEF Website for more information.
Senior students & teachers: You need to review the ISEF rules—they’ve changed for 2013.