Sadly, EISEF Senior Champion Manasa Pagadala will not represent Iowa at ISEF in Los Angeles in May.
On March 30 we learned that Manasa’s science mentor has patented the cancer treatment that Manasa’s project is based on. He (the mentor) is okay with her presenting the work at small fairs like EISEF and SSTFI (Iowa state fair), but not at ISEF where it might receive international exposure — and his objection means that Manasa can’t go to ISEF.
Manasa, the morning EISEF judges rated you highly among the senior projects. In the afternoon, the finalist judges named you one of the best. This patent twist — disappointing as it must be — can’t take away what you did at EISEF.
What about a replacement?
No, we won’t send another student to ISEF in place of Manasa. We asked the finalist judges to name the strongest two or three students as worthy to represent us at ISEF; that’s what they did. We didn’t ask them to name alternates, “just in case”; and in fact they said that none of the other students they interviewed came close to Manasa, Aaron Wills, and Mason Burlage.
We’ve posted all photos of the award recipients to the 2017 Photo Album.
98% coverage! This year, we got a photo of all but 3 of the student exhibits. We’ve posted them to the 2017 Photo Album. Now to tweak their captions, and add other photos from the Fair.
Missing photos. We have no photos of the following students at their exhibits:
- JT17: Maddie Bemis & Anne Meier
- JB47: Otto Boddicker
- JP27: Hatcher VanSteenWyk
If you took their pictures at their exhibits, please e-mail the photos to the .
The Fair took place on Saturday, March 18, 2017 — last month.
Manasa Pagadala from Bettendorf
Mason Burlage from Dyersville
Aaron Wills from Donnellson
They won at EISEF in Cedar Rapids. Now they’re headed to the International Science and Engineering Fair in Los Angeles, May 14–19, 2017.
Center court of Lindale Mall, just before judging started.
- 251 students attended from 22 schools, with 196 exhibits.
- 151 judges interviewed them.
- They received 160 awards in all.
- All the exhibits and awards at the fair.
- EISEF 2017 Photo Album. (This will take a couple of weeks.)
Did you take photos at the Fair? If you’d like to share them, we’d love to see them. E-mail them to the , and maybe we’ll include them in our photo album.
Senior and Junior Champions: Now you have to get ready to go to Los Angeles, and you have to meet some strict deadlines. Our Post-Fair Info page tells all about it.
The Fair is Saturday, March 18, 2017, in Lindale Mall, Cedar Rapids.
Registration for everybody starts at 8:00 AM on Fair Day.
- EISEF judges
- Sponsored Award judges
Key locations (Some have changed from 2016.)
- EISEF Headquarters: Main level between Center Court and Sears, in the former Aéropostale.
- Student registration: Center Court, near the fountain, between Kay Jewelers and Rogers Jewelry.
- Judges’ registration: Outside EISEF HQ.
- Sponsored Awards registration: Inside EISEF HQ.
Last-minute judges and volunteers: come to Registration (EISEF Headquarters) and we’ll sign you up there.
The When and Where page has schedules, maps, and directions to help you find your way on Fair Day.
Students: You can check your entries on the Status of Student Entries page.
Judges: You can pick the exhibits you’d like to judge — before the Fair. These pages list the entries we’ve received, with their titles and descriptions. Look them over, choose the ones that are right for you, and you’ll be ready to sign up on Fair Day morning.
If you plan to leave the Fair before the Awards Ceremony, you need to tell us in advance. This way we’ll know to save any awards you receive and mail them to you after the Fair.
After the Student Meeting (at 9:00 AM) return to Student Registration and give us your name, exhibit number, reason for leaving and approximate time. You should bring your Adult Sponsor or parent with you, so we know that they know you’re planning to leave.
If during the day an emergency forces you to leave, your Adult Sponsor should report this to Student Registration or EISEF HQ as soon as possible.
If you leave without telling us, you will forfeit your awards — we won’t save them and mail them to you.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Read the For Students And Teachers page and follow its directions.
- Check the Forms Guide to find out what forms and certificates you need to fill out and when.
- Finish your experiment and complete your paperwork.
- Fill out the Student Entry Form and submit it.
- Mail us copies of your Student Entry Signature Pages and all your other paperwork. The deadline is February 27, 2017.
- Check the status of your entry on the Status of Student Entries page.
- Bring the originals of all paperwork with you to the Fair on March 18, 2017.